Adaptive Driving Aids
Experienced users of adaptive driving aids, as well as those who have just been introduced to them, will appreciate the depth of experience and the breadth of options available to them at VCI Mobility.
Adaptive driving aids are as diverse as the people who use them, but they do fall into several distinct categories; basic driving aids, reduced effort modifications and advanced driving controls.
VCI has a full line of adaptive driving aids, both new and used, in our inventory.
Basic Driving Aids
Basic driving aids are adaptations which are engineered to allow you to utilize the more “able” aspects of your body in order to operate your vehicle. Hand controls, left foot gas pedals and pedal extensions are among the many options that fall into this category.
Hand Controls allow you to use the upper part of your body to do what might be difficult for the lower parts – such as braking and accelerating. A variety of hand control options are available to fit your needs and preferences.
- A Push/Pull is the basic of hand controls allowing you to push forward to brake and pull back to accelerate.
- A Push Right Angle is a hand control where you push forward to brake and pull down towards your lap to accelerate.
- A Push/Twist is a hand control where you push forward to brake and twist similar to a motorcycle grip to accelerate.
Steering Controls are adaptations added to the steering wheel of a vehicle. Steering controls make steering for those with limited grip or strength an easier task.
- A Spinner Knob is a small knob that presses firmly in the palm of your hand. A spinner knob gives the operator a steady grip and the ability to steer with one hand.
- A Palm Grip is made only by MPD and allows your hand to comfortably sit in a lightweight aluminum wrap with sheepskin liner. The Palm Grip allows firm steering control for those who have little or no gripping ability. The Palm Grip is ideal for those with arthritis.
- A Tri-Pin is a steering grip that comfortably rests your hand in-between three pins. The pins are adjustable and can be used to accelerate, brake or be used on the steering wheel instead of a spinner knob. If need be, they can also be custom fitted to operate the turn signal, horn and dimmer.
Extension Controls are driving aids that give users the extra inch they need to be comfortable in their accessible vehicle. Whether they are shorter than average or have limited strength in their arms these adaptations can make all the difference in driving.
- Pedal Extensions are for vehicle operators who can not reach the gas or brake pedal. Pedal extensions give the driver the inches they need to sit and drive comfortably at a safe distance from the airbags.
- Turn Signal Extensions consist of a simple rod to the right side of the steering wheel that can be adjusted appropriately to meet the needs of the driver.
- Key Extensions are available for those who have trouble with the turning motion of starting their vehicle. The additional leverage is adjustable to fit the needs of the operator.
- Steering Column Extensions allow up to six inches between the operator and the steering column.
Foot Controls are for individuals who have zero to limited feeling in their feet. Foot controls are also valuable to those who may have a prosthetic limb and need to use their left foot to drive.
- Left Foot Gas Pedals allow drivers to accelerate using their left foot. A pedal is attached to the accelerator that is located on the left side of the brake. A guard is then placed over the original accelerator so that the right foot does not inadvertently rest on the factory installed pedal.
- An Accelerator & Brake Guard is a shield that goes over the accelerator, brake or both when the operator is using hand controls to operate the vehicle. An accelerator and brake guard is a safety feature that prevents operators from accidentally resting their foot on the brake or accelerator.
Basic Driving Control Manufacturers
- Mobility Production & Design (MPD) provides basic driving aids, including hand controls, extension controls, steering controls, foot controls and other mobility products. MPD has been successfully serving VCI Mobility with an exceptional line of mobility products for 30 years.
- Howell Ventures provides Sure Grip hand controls. The Sure Grip hand controls have a reputation of being very comfortable to use by our customers at VCI Mobility.
Reduced Effort Modifications
Reduced effort modifications are used in conjunction with hand controls and other adaptations to reduce the physical strength required to perform the operations of braking and steering. Reduced effort braking and reduced effort steering are modification packages that make the steering wheel or brake pedal easier to turn or push. The level of assistance or “reduced-effort” is adjusted to the level prescribed by the driving rehabilitation specialist, based on the strength of the driver.
- Drive-Master’s low effort and no effort braking modifications significantly reduces the required pressure needed to press down on a pedal to brake.
- Drive-Master’s reduced effort steering modification reduces the amount of effort it takes to move a steering wheel. There is low effort to no effort available depending on the model of car and tire size.
Advanced Driving Controls
Advanced driving controls, or “high-tech driving systems” have advanced tremendously over the years, thus creating options for drivers with higher levels of disability. Advanced driving controls are truly a custom solution. As a result, the key components of these systems are combined, fitted and installed based on an extremely thorough process of evaluation, prescription and fine-tuning.
Hand Controls in the advanced driving aid category are of course more advanced and are typically for individuals with very limited mobility and strength for operating a vehicle. A slight touch of various adaptive devices allow the car to accelerate and brake with ease.
- Electric Gas and Brakes are operated from an electric servo in the form of a joystick or lever input device. Individuals can then use their hands to control their speed and to brake.
- Pneumatic Gas and Brakes are operated from an air pressure system and controlled by an easy joystick, foot pedal or other device.
- Horizontal Steering accommodates a limited range of motion when the driver cannot use a conventional steering wheel.
- Reduced and Zero Effort steering is for users who do not have adequate strength to operate the vehicle with factory resistance levels.
- Electric steering allows the steering control to be located almost anywhere to assist the operator. They can be operated in the forms of miniature steering wheels or joysticks.
Electronic Gear Selection
Electronic Gear Selection allows the operator to push a button for a gear selection.
Remote Accessory Controls
- Voice Scan uses one to two targets or buttons to operate a multitude of functions within the vehicle while utilizing a verbal audible menu.
- Single Touch allows vehicle functions to be moved to a different location in order to fit the needs of the disabled driver.
Advanced Control Manufacturers
- Drive-master has a long history of providing adaptive vehicle modifications. Their hand controls and other equipment have been beneficial to thousands of people all over the world. We are proud to be one of their mobility equipment dealers and are confident in the products they provide our customers.
- Creative Controls Incorporated is premier manufacturer of automotive mobility equipment.
- Crescent Industries provides VCI Mobility with advanced remote accessory controls including single touch and voice scan. The products are reliable and easily serviced, including a warranty that commits to customer satisfaction.
- Electronic Mobility Controls has been number one in the world for adaptive driving controls for over 20 years. VCI Mobility turns to EMC for their quality in electric driving controls. Their electric steering, gas and brake devices have been more than satisfying to our customers over the years.
- Wells Engberg is one of the leading manufacturers of mechanical hand controls and provides VCI Mobility with quality pneumatic gas and brakes and other well engineered accessible driving aids.